- The JSE Investment Challenge Public Game is a promotional competition conducted by the JSE Limited (“JSE”) in accordance with the terms of the Consumer Protection Act, No 68 of 2008 and the Regulations promulgated thereunder, where applicable.
- Between 8 September 2014 and 5 December 2014 the JSE will provide a virtual trading game platform for the trading of JSE-listed shares and Exchange Traded Funds (“the shares”) with the aim of educating the South African public about investing on the JSE.
- Only one entry per qualifying participant into the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game will be allowed.
- Each qualifying participant will be credited with a virtual sum of R1 000 000 (one million rand) to invest in a virtual portfolio consisting of the shares. Each participant will incur no liability but also will not make real money. The performance of the virtual portfolio will be tracked against other JSE Investment Challenge Public Game participant portfolios.
- At the conclusion of the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game on 5 December 2014 (or such date as advised by the JSE) the overall best-performing virtual portfolio held by a participant in the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game will be chosen.
- The prizes available in the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game for 2014 are:
First Prize : R30 000.00 (thirty thousand rand)
Second Prize : R20 000.00 (twenty thousand rand)
Third Prize : R10 000.00 (ten thousand rand)
- All prizes are to be deposited into an account held with a participant’s broker (stockbroker).
- Prize winners must notify the JSE of their share trading account, broker account or ETF provider account as soon as possible to facilitate receipt of their prize, where after the prize units will be credited to the prize winner’s broker account. If a prize winner does not already have any such account, the JSE will assist the winner to open such an account and will carry the cost of opening the account up to the amount of R200.00 (two hundred rand). The prizes do not include transaction costs and/or ongoing account fees on an account other than opening the account.
- Prize winners shall, where applicable, provide the JSE with documentation required in order to comply with the obligations set out in the Financial Intelligence Centre Act, 2001.
- The prize winners will be contacted by the JSE within 14 (fourteen) business days of the conclusion of the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game by means of the contact information supplied by the prize winner in the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game registration. The prizes are not transferable. Should the JSE be unable to contact a prize winner after reasonable attempts to do so, the JSE reserves the right to award the winner’s prize to the next overall pest-performing virtual portfolio held by a participant.
- There are no cash alternatives to the prizes on offer, no cash payment will be made to any prize winners of the prizes.
- The JSE will be entitled to publish each prize winner’s name (at no fee or consideration) on the JSE website and prize winners will not be required to endorse, advertise or promote any of the JSE’s products or services.
- The JSE will adjudicate and decide upon any issues arising from or connected with the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game, the prizes and award of prizes. The JSE’s decision will be final and binding upon all participants on all aspects of the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game and no correspondence will be entered into.
How to enter
- Registration must be done prior to 8 September 2014 (or such later date as advised by the JSE) via the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game website on https://virtualtradinggame.jse.co.za.
- From date of registration until 5 September 2014, registered participants will be allowed to practice on the JSE Investment Challenge Public Challenge Game platform up until the commencement of the competition on 8 September 2014, whereafter all portfolios will be reset for purposes of the competition.
- A once-off registration fee of R100.00 (one hundred rand) is payable by each participant) using our online payment system or alternatively via EFT into the following account: JSE Limited, First National Bank, Account Number 5097 1505 283, Branch number 255005, with the reference being the name and surname used in the registration form. Proof of payment is to be forwarded to the JSE within 10 (ten) days of registration to either firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax 086 682 1417.
- High school learners or full-time university students are not eligible participants of the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game. High school learners or full-time university students who would like to participate in a virtual trading game should go to the JSE Investment Challenge websites https://schools.jse.co.za or https://university.jse.co.za for further information.
- Members of the public who are under 18 years of age, professional investment employees as well as employees and immediate family members of JSE are not eligible participants of the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game.
- The JSE reserves the right to limit the number of participants in the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game. In the event that the participants exceed the maximum number of participants as determined by the JSE, the JSE will post a message reflecting same on the registration section of the JSE Investment Challenge Public Game.
For more information contact us or view a helpful glossary of terms.